Monday, October 26, 2009

Caillebotte captured precise moments flawlessly.



Paris Street Rainy Day by Gustave Caillebotte
1877, Oil on Canvas, 212.2 x 276.2 cm

So, I am currently stranded inside a Starbucks due to a severe thunderstorm and I thought of this picture. Caillebotte is considered an Impressionist, however tends to be overshadowed by well-known impressionists such as Monet, Cassatt, Degas, and Renior. He is most well-known for his dramatic and exaggerated use of perspective. Notice the building in the back, doesn't it seem a bit exaggerated? True, this isn't realistic and he is a bit off with the essence of the building plunging into depth, however unlike art critics, I love Caillebotte because of his experimentations with perspective.

Paris Street Rainy Day is such a little gem. I mean, doesn't it just give you a good feeling? I also attribute it to Seattle and the beautiful rainy days.  I just love calm rainy days, the days that make you want to curl up next to the fire, get a cup of hot cocoa, and read your favorite book. Caillebotte's depiction is beautifully executed. I love the concept of a "snapshot" of time where everyone is still in time. I especially enjoy the people in the right hand side of the photo. They are quickly glancing to their right, however the viewer is unawre of what they are looking at. One can imagine they are briskly walking and have a destination in mind, they are not merely strolling along on a rainy day in Paris- they have a purpose. Also unqiue, is that the action of rain falling is not incorporated.  The only reason the viewer thinks of rain can be attributed to the umbrellas, wet ground, and title of the piece. Perhaps falling rain was too hard to paint, nevertheless I like the visual aspect of wet ground and umbrellas, it adds to the calmness and tranquility of the work.

It's great to think that this photo captured about one second of time, though the image will last a lifetime. A bit inspiring too. Artists can turn everyday instances into great works of art, merely by choosing them. Makes me want to yell "Pick me, Pick me!"

Caillebotte captured precise moments flawlessly.


2 comments:

  1. I love this piece. It does evoke a peacefulness with the rain, always feels like a cleansing. However the piece also evokes the sense activity. It is so interesting to see the impending near collision of people on the right forefront. As the couple is gazing to their right, the gentleman with the umbrella is about to collide with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right! I didn't notice this, but since I always just see tranquility in the piece, it makes sense how I wouldn't notice a near collision! Good eye Momma!

    ReplyDelete